Organist and Director of Music
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Beaufort, NC
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Beaufort, NC seeks an organist and Director of Music to lead our music program. We seek an enthusiastic candidate to develop our vision of a musical program that nurtures talent and joy, and touches every facet of church life.
The hours required, and the compensation package, will be tailored to the availability and qualifications of the right candidate.
St. Paul’s is a liturgical congregation located in the historic district of Beaufort, a quaint seaside town on the Intracoastal Waterway adjacent to Morehead City. We are a parish firmly rooted in Anglican/Episcopal music tradition. Our historic wooden church, built in 1857, has a three-manual, Allen Quantum Renaissance digital organ, Model Q350. The organ was purchased to replace a pipe organ that was difficult to keep in tune in our coastal climate. The Allen organ is considered accurate in sound to a pipe organ. A sound system and camera permit recording and live streaming.
In partnership with the rector, the director of music will:
- Work collaboratively with clergy, staff, parishioners and the local community to nurture a music program supporting the spiritual life and growth of St. Paul’s
- Provide organ, choral, and occasional instrumental music for one Sunday service per week and special services of the church
- Rehearse, direct, and provide musical training for the adult volunteer choir, supplementing with professional soloists and section leaders from the community
- Oversee a music ministry for the youth during the school year, and during one-week Vacation Bible School.
- Promote instrumental music in worship and support the existing handbell choir.
- Oversee care and maintenance of robes, equipment and instruments
- Prepare and administer an annual music budget approved by the vestry
- Participate in the administrative life of the parish by attending staff meetings and maintaining weekly office hours
- Arrange for substitute organists during absences
- Strong musicianship and proficiency in the organ and piano
- Strong and broad knowledge of church music, and familiarity with Anglican/Episcopal liturgy and tradition
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Educational background commensurate with the position
- Experience working with diverse ages and levels of musicianship, and instrumental accompanists
- Strong evidence of leadership qualities
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary starting at $32-$35 per hour
- Benefits and paid leave will depend on the hours and schedule negotiated by the candidate and rector
- Opportunity for additional income from weddings and funerals (first refusal)
Contact: Apply by sending cover letter, resume, and at least two references, to:
c/o St. Paul’s Church, 215 Ann Street., Beaufort NC 28516